Tuesday 27 November 2012

Radiation Consult

Huh, so much for my intention to blog more frequently.  Don't worry, you didn't miss anything.  The pain is gone and unless you want to read about me blowing my nose all the time due to a lack of nose hair nothing interesting is going on.  I'm not even getting the nose bleeds I have read about.
And my hair is still growing:-)

Oh wait, I did have a point to this post, my radiation therapy consult.  I believe I left you hanging a couple posts ago about the consult and then with typical chemo brain I completely forgot about it.

Here it is, the radiation oncologist or therapist or whatever she is called is very nice.  Not as fabulous as my medical oncologist but still excellent.  Although, that may partly be due to the fact that she gave me good news at my consult.
Her plan for me only involves 10 treatments.  Since they are daily that means only 2 weeks!  If I stick with my current plan of having surgery I would have the surgery first then once I am on the mend from that we would meet again to finalize the radiation plan.
Also, in her mind reconstruction is not totally out the window.  Yippee!  I can't do immediate recostruction as the radiation can cause all kinds of problems but 1 1/2 to 2 years down the road reconstruction is a definite possibility in her opinion.  Now to get my onc and my surgeon on side.

The next step aside from my regular appointments with my oncologist and the chemo nurses will be another consult with my surgeon to ensure that I am still a candidate for surgery.  The first time I met with my surgeon was right after my initial diagnosis I was thought to be only stage 3.  It is possible that she will less enthusiastic about doing surgery now that it is confirmed that I am stage 4 but hopefully that won't be the case.

In the mean time I still have 8 days until my next chemo marathon.  Now, if only mother nature would cooperate and cancel the rain that is in the forecast!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sheryl,

    That is good news. I am very glad to hear it. I hope the next eight days go well. I will trade your rain for our subzero temperatures if you want.

    Argos win! Unfortunately I am still a Lions fan. Why couldn't Glenn have played so badly against BC?

    Take care,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete