Thursday 15 November 2012

My Chemo Marathon

Today was treatment number 6. I am officially 3/4 of the way through my treatments!!!

This was also the first time I have had herceptin and taxol on the same day. It turned out to be a 6 hour chemo marathon!  Fortunately I had a nurse who loves dogs and has a toller corgi cross. She was happy to find out that stubbornness is a toller trait and it isn't just her dog being crazy.
I also had several different roommates to keep the day interesting.

It is amazing to think I only have 2 more chemo treatments. In a way the time has really flown by while other times have dragged on. For. Ever.
My oncologist also said yesterday it was amazing how much the tumor had shrunk. And the she looked at me and said, "oh. Maybe that wasn't the best wording. Really, I do think these drugs work and it's all scientific. "  Who cares! If she's happy, I'm happy. That's the key.

Now, I'm kicking back and relaxing in front of the fire. Pretty soon I should get up and organize some mindless activities. I got heavy dose of Benadryl and dexamethasone before the taxol. The Benadryl should wear off soon so the dexamethasone will probably keep me up until about 0400.

Tomorrow is another big day: consult with my radiation oncologist. We will does the radiation treatment plan plus if or when I will have surgery. Fingers crossed that surgery is a go. I would really like to hack out any tumor bits that may remain after the chemo.

And it should be yet another sunny day tomorrow.  Yay!!

3 comments:

  1. Way to push through those tough days Sheryl. You are very strong. I am so happy though to read about your pain free days......here's to more of those! And happy Christmas baking with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great feeling, and just the carrot on the stick needed to know you are over the halfway mark...you know you're going to finish it, and you start focusing on the next treatment. I'm SO glad your results are positive. All the best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on reaching the 3/4 mark.

    ReplyDelete