Thursday 6 June 2013

New Boots and a Dentist

HAHA!!  I don't know which is more exciting, my new stable boots:

Aren't they pretty?
or the fact that I went to the dentist today.

Ok, I know that is weird that the dentist is so exciting but you have to look at it from the point of view of the cancer patient.  While on chemo I couldn't go to the dentist for a couple reasons, 1. with my lowered immune system any bacteria getting into my bloodstream is bad news, and 2. my mouth and gums were so sensitive that any dental work could have caused major pain and damage.
So, yes, going to the dentist is exciting.  It is another indicator that my life is returning to something resembling normal.

And the dentist was impressed.  He couldn't tell that I had been through chemo.  Apparently many chemo patients suffer from terrible dry month and it actually causes visible damage to the teeth somehow.  I guess all my concern about staying hydrated and drinking lots of soda water helped even more than I expected.

As for the boots, I think they are my favourite Fluevogs yet.  They are SOOOOO comfy and I have worn them so much.  I am almost sad that it is sunny and a little too warm for them right now........almost.  The sun is needed.

The last couple of weeks have been good and bad.  My jaunt to Victoria has put me back into the depths of chemo fatigue so I can actually go for a few days before realising that I have not left the apartment, not even to check the mail.  It is starting to improve now.  I am trying to get out almost every day for one activity.  Sometimes it is for 2 or 3 activities but that means I am definitely not getting off the couch the next day.  I am hoping the sunshine helps.

I have had some fun activities, I have had a couple of shopping trips and I did spend an afternoon in Whistler.
 I also had my 3 month post-surgery checkup so I can officially tick off the surgery box as complete.  I am still dealing with some mild lymphedema in my hand but my wonderful new massage therapist is helping with that and the pain and discomfort is gone while the swelling comes and goes.
Also, I had my 6 week post-radiation checkup.  Everything is good there.  My funny shaped tans are fading and I haven't come down a radiation cough yet.  The cough could still appear in the next few months but so far so good. Still, I think the radiation box can also be ticked off.
Now it is just the Herceptin, Tamoxifen, and Zoladex.  They continue to be fine with minimal side effects.  The only issue is the hot flashes and the occasional cold flash.  On the upside, I think my body is starting to adjust and the flashes are becoming less frequent.  I am getting 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night now. Yay!

All in all things are good and I have not started stressing about my next set of scans yet.  They won't be booked until some time in July at the earliest so now it is time to get into the fresh and enjoy June while it is still here:-)


1 comment:

  1. Great news and nice boots! Glad to hear things are going well. Enjoy the rest of June whether it is sunny and warm or stylish boot weather. Hoping for continued good scans in July.

    ReplyDelete