Thursday 9 August 2012

The New Normal

Yesterday I was feeling particularly adventurous and went out for a splendid stroll along the Seawall with Mom.  For the last couple of days I have been feeling so normal I thought I walk would be good.
Turns out there is definitely a new definition of normal in my world.
We walked for about 1 km each way.  I'm sure you're all thinking "hey, that's not bad" and really it isn't bad until you add in the 15 (or maybe 20 or 30) minute rest on a bench part way.  The 20 minute rest at the end.  The 20 minute rest part way back and the final sitting down on the couch and not moving for while once home again.
Just to put that all in perspective, while working at St. Paul's I walked to and from work each day.  It was about 2.5 km each way and on a bad day it took me 30 minutes.  And it was uphill both ways too!!  Or at least slightly uphill on the way in to work:)
I am sure my energy will continue to improve over the next week until my next treatment but it is just to  odd to see just how totally chemo can affect your world.  Only 22 1/2 weeks to go!

On a more cheery note I want to send out a general thank you to everyone for all their thoughts and prayers and emails and texts as I have started this cancer adventure.  All your positive thoughts are greatly appreciated:)

On the all important food front my taste buds seem to have bounced back pretty well so everything is back on the menu.  Except mojitos.  I had a couple sips of Ian's mojito on Monday and I was totally loopy.  I think the alcohol will be in small doses if any for the next while.  Oh well, it sure makes the bar bill cheaper.

4 comments:

  1. We're going to have a huge bar bill in 22 1/2 weeks and one day. Maybe two days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl, I for one can say that I am so grateful to be able to read your blog and keep up AND see that you're coping well...without feeling like I'm intruding (and stalking!)!!!
    ;)
    You sound more positive than a lot of us who AREN'T undergoing a major life-altering illness and treatment...the positivity most definitely is playing a huge role in your healing process...keep it up! Only 22 weeks to go!
    The power of positive energy is something I so strongly believe in, you're in my thoughts and the thoughts of tons of coworkers! *big hug* :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want Safeway and superstore have none alcohol mojitos it is the crystal light ones if you are allowed to have them

    ReplyDelete