Saturday 29 December 2012

Chemo #8 in the Rearview Mirror

I am sad to say, Santa did not bring me hair and eye lashes for Christmas. Darn.
And I should start shedding again on Sunday so who knows how many hairs I will have left on my head in another week.

Chemo #8 is done.  Yay!!!  I'm not totally off the hook as I will likely be on Herceptin indefinitely which involves a half hour infusion every three weeks, but the side effects seem to be pretty minimal so that will be okay.
As long as my scans in January look good I won't have any more chemo drugs for a while.  Double yay!!

I had a very good Christmas season even without a good gift from Santa.  My excellent friend Sarah visited for a few days.  One of the highlights was finally going to the Festival of Lights at Van Dusen Garden.  I admit that I have lived in Vancouver for 10 Christmases and this was my first visit.  So worthwhile!
Here's a pic:



And here is a Seattle picture of a Macy's window.  I can't wait to go to New York at Christmas time to look at all the windows.



Christmas Eve Ian and I went to his mum's house for tourtiere.  So yummy.  All of the in-laws were there so it was really nice to catch up with everyone.  One of Ian's sisters lives in a small town in New York that I had hoped to visit during one of my training trip to Rochester.  Yet another thing to reschedule!

Christmas Day was just Ian, the pets, and I.  Ian made Liege waffles for breakfast.  Super yum.  If you have never had Liege waffles you should visit the waffle guy on West 2nd Ave at Patisserie Lebeau.  Fabulous.
We had ham for dinner since I can't eat poultry and it was a wonderful relaxing day.

I attempted to do some Boxing Day shopping with another excellent friend, Carly, and believe it or not I could not find a single pair of shoes to buy.  Oh well, that is good for my pocket book at least.
There it was a seawall trek with awesome Alison.
The rest of the day was a write off.

Thursday was psych myself up for chemo day.  And recovery day from Boxing Day.  And meet up with my cuz Tony and his girlfriend Andrea day.  A good day.

Friday's chemo was another marathon.  And it was interesting as there were more men in the room than women.  That has never happened before.  And when I left it was officially the kid room.  There were 3 of us in the room and the oldest patient was just a couple months older than me.  He seemed to be on a pretty similar regimen as I had been on originally but he had not been given the A-team of anti nauseants and it sounded like he really suffered.  Poor guy.

And I keep forgetting, I read another good book recently: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Settlefield.

And one last thing, another you tube link (and yes, Ian is cringing in his sleep again), ignore the vid, it's all about the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs.

And now that it is rolling towards 4 am, it is time for me to try and get some sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't find hair and eyelashes in your stocking. Santa better get his act together for next year. Hurray that Chemo #8 is done. And fingers crossed for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go ... Congratulation on the finish of a big job ...
    Oh yes I loved the song.

    Waiting to here the results of the tests ...

    ReplyDelete