Tuesday 2 October 2012

Half Way!!

The standard requirement for getting chemo is a neutrophil count of 1.5. My neuts were 1.4, but fortunately my oncologist is a little more lenient and allows the dose as long as my neuts are over 1.   That means with yesterday's dose I am officially half way through my chemo treatments:)
I think my IV nurse was almost as excited as I was that I had reached the half way point. The nurses at the Cancer Agency are so supportive!

So far this round has been okay. I feel the usual off feeling and the tired is kicking in but it is pretty much as expected. This round may be a little easier as I was dropped down to an 80% dose. The fever I had last Saturday is an indicator that my body is started to get run down and once I get one fever I am more susceptible to more fevers in the future. My dose was lowered slightly to decrease the chance of another fever.
I am definitely fine with that. The antibiotics were so hard on my body I really don't want to repeat them any time soon.

Next round my drugs are being changed so treatments will be about 4 hours long instead of just one hour. That will be less fun. But, it also means I say goodbye to the super toxic red drug. I will be starting herceptin though which is supposed to be one of the newer things for preventing cancer from spreading or coming back.

I will be doing 4 rounds with the new drugs and then it will be radiation and possibly surgery. I am voting for surgery but I may have to convince my surgeon that I need surgery but I think I have a pretty good argument just on the basis of my age.

And hi Suzetta in Italia! The pictures are much appreciated. It looks like you are having a fabulous time :-)

4 comments:

  1. Way too go ... half way is a HUGE accomplishment. You have an amazing circle of friend Sheryl ... go girl :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the halfway mark! Think about you lots, and love the updates on the blog! Gives me a way to keep track of you without bugging you all the time. Keep up the good work (blogging and dealing with treatments).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Invio Amore from Tuscana! Thinking of you ..... Thanks for keeping us updated,
    Ciao Suzetta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the half way mark! Seeing you in good spirits still is wonderful! Thank you for the updates! Sending healing thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete