Thursday 25 October 2012

Day 2 Paclitaxol

It was 5 hours at the chemo unit today and it actually ended up being fun. I ran into a couple that I met through Jasper years ago when he was a puppy. They had a sweet older dog name Flyer.
Since I last saw them Flyer has died, but she was 16 so not bad for a dog, and breast cancer has entered their lives. But, it was fun to catch up and I got to hear how the taxol has gone for someone else. One downside, I may still lose my eyebrows:( I hope not.

I started the taxol today. It started with dexamethasone followed by a combo of Benadryl and Zantac followed by the taxol. There is alcohol in with the taxol so amazingly enough I didn't totally pass out during the infusion. I did reach the point of slurring my words though.
Fortunately I didn't have any kind of allergic reaction and everything went very smoothly. I was able to walk home.
And now I am feeling a little drowsy but okay. I had no problem eating dinner so that helps too.

I am now waiting for the joint pain to start. My oncologist said I should just lay low for the weekend and it should all pass in about 5 days. The remedy is Tylenol (look at that, another product placement) and Advil. If the pain gets really out of control I have some gabapentin. Maybe it won't get to that point.

I also have my appointment set up to meet with my radiation oncologist. It is in 3 weeks. It will be good to have some idea of what the next step in my treatment plan will be like.

And since it wasn't raining I wore my new boots so that I could have another day with hope:-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheryl,

    Good luck with the new drugs. I hope the side effects are easier than the adriamycin.

    Nice boots, by the way. The Institute Director's assistant loves them too; she is headed to Fluevog Toronto to get a pair for herself.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kiddo ... You are so amazing.
    I saw a lady at the LCB the other day. She had lost her eyebrows so started playing with different colours for her eyebrows ... just a thought. She did say it did keep her distracted trying to decide on the colour for the day. I guess it was a bright red day that day :o)

    ReplyDelete