Friday 8 February 2013

Post Surgery, at Home and Recovering

I think my surgeon is a superstar.  So far I have taken a total of 12 regular strength Tylenol to control my "pain".
The biggest pain is in my right wrist where the IV tip rubbed against the vein.

Wednesday was surgery day.  I was at MSJ at 0630 to check in.  I met with a surgical day care nurse to go over my medical history and then I got into one of the fabulous surgery gowns with snaps everywhere so they are easy to put on and take off.  Then I met with one of my OR nurses, then I met with a doctor who was assisting with the surgery, then I met my anaesthesiologist, then I met with my surgeon, then I met my other OR nurse.....I didn't actually have to meet the second nurse but she had heard that I was a lab tech and wanted to meet me.

Just after 0830 I was sent off to the OR.  I had a short discussion with my anaethesiologist about the best place for my IV.  Sometimes the vein in my right hand collapses if I am dehydrated but the vein was apparently too big and juicy to resist.  Fortunately the attempt was successful......having to dig around in the vein never seems like a good way to start the day.

And then it was about 1210 and I was in recovery.  I got a shot of gravol for nausea and I was transferred up to 4 West a little before 1400.  Lucky me I got a semi-private room and my roommate didn't show up for another hour or so.

My nurse was great and I had a visit with the Clinical Nurse Leader that I had dealt with quite a bit during my Point of Care days.  It is always fun to hear a little bit about how things are going on the wards that I used to know so much about.

I actually managed to get some sleep Wednesday night in-between visits from my night nurse.

Thursday morning I had the same nurse that had been there the day before.  I had a visit with the physiotherapist about the exercises to be done during my recovery.  I also met with the liaison for home care as a nurse will come out periodically to check my dressing and drain.

Last I had a student nurse come in and check on me.  When she came in she told me that she was excited to meet as she had heard that I had been a lab tech and I was really popular with all the other nurses (the other 2 that I had seen on the ward isn't really all the nurses, but it was nice to hear anyway!).
I offered to let her practice her glucose meter skills on me but she wasn't sure she could do that since I was diabetic.
I did have her check my drain and empty it.  And I had her show Ian how to empty the drain as well.

And then it was time to go home.

It is now Friday.  I am still puffy from the saline but it is getting better.  I am sure my chemo nurse will be thrilled to have to put in an IV this afternoon for my Herceptin.

I had a visit from my home care nurse and everything looks good apparently.  I am a wuss so I won't look at the surgery site.  And there is no swelling so I can really feel the drain and it is kind of gross and uncomfortable feeling but still no pain.
Hopefully the drain can come out on Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing good. Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are doing great Sheryl! Keep up the good work! And so popular on the wards ... who knew a lab tech could be popular with the nurses! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi S
    Thinking of you!
    Suz and Lynn from sunny San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheryl,

    Sounds like everything is going well. Keep up that positive attitude !!!

    Liz/Rochester

    ReplyDelete